Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Plan to Advocate

I am advocating a pacifist style of life, to further the human race in an attempt to achieve peace. The topic I chose to present as a modern issue is the Long War, on a personal, ecomonical and politcal level; I would like to understand what we really are doing in Iraq. Understanding what we are occupying the country for, may lead to a better understanding on the steps we can take to bring the oppression to an end.
The primary target audience are the students registered for my Composition 106 class. The reason students are the most important target is that they are the future of our Country; we can not only bring this war to an end, but also prevent future massacres from occuring. If my project can affect half of the class, the hope is that a "pay-it-forward" chain will occur, and a greater population will be affected and educated. Also, with an election in the coming, a more educated audience will have a greater effect on deciding which candidate will lead the country most successfully.
I plan on presenting my personal story attatched to the war, as I was born in the midst of the original Gulf War, and my life has been effected in a irreversible manner, may it be for better or worse. I also would like to present the economical repurcussions that have occured because of the war, and how that directly relates to our economical collapse as of late. Finally, I would like to show the political background of the war, and discover the true reasons for invading a country, while we claim to be "maintaining the safety of our nation."
I do not want to dictate to the class whether the war is necessarry or not, I would just like to provide the class with the tools to decide for themselves whether we should change any policies our government has initiated.

2 comments:

Amouna said...

You might actually enjoy reading the book I posted a picture of on my blog...I don't know if you've ever heard of it (it's somewhat "old", but still considered Modern Philosophy), but it's pretty good once you get into it. It's about the concept of quality, and what quality truly is, but it's in the format of a road trip story. It talks about meditation and stuff, and sort of approaches the changes in technology from a hippie approach, which make you think. (The book was written in the 1970's, so technology by comparison is by far different). But anyway, I'm rambling. The book is called "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", and it's by Robert M. Pirsig if you want to check it out.

Unknown said...

You can advocate peace, but be careful about linking the universal concept to a specific event like the Iraq war. Try to look at "peace" as a way of life that anyone can adopt in their day-day-day interactions. It's ok to discuss your personal experience, but be careful not to rant out against the war. Always remember that you are advocating, not judging.